Writing & Public Speaking
Main content start
Strong spoken and written communication skills are essential to any profession. Learn to communicate complex topics efficiently to diverse audiences through different formats.
- Articulate effective strategies for oral and written communication for varied audiences.
- Build awareness of your own speaking and writing abilities and skills.
- Demonstrate and practice communication skills that can be applied to diverse audiences
- Reflect on communication practices, evaluate their effectiveness, revise and iterate.
- Complete a department speaking or writing course (ENGR 202W/203, GEOPHYS 205, ORALCOMM 215/217/219, PWR 194NCR, EDUC 389C, BIOS 231/292, GEOLSCI 307, BIOHOPK 257H/330H, ENVRES 340)
- Complete English for Foreign Students courses
- Enroll in Hume’s Canvas site to access resources on written and oral communication
- Attend the Science and Art of Grant Writing Symposium or review recordings of previous grant writing workshops
- Participate in offerings focused on writing and public speaking (Pro-Seminars, Skillshares, Short Courses, workshops)
- Participate in the Talk of the Farm Speaking Club
- Participate in the Stanford Storytelling Project
- Participate in an OpEd Project
- Participate in a Hume Dissertation Bootcamp
- Participate in a GWA Mini Proposal Bootcamp or a GWA autumn/spring proposal bootcamp
- Work with a Hume writing or speaking tutor
- Work with a GWA grant coach
- Become a GWA Grant Coach
- Become a HUME Oral Communication Tutor
- Become a HUME Graduate Writing Tutor
- Other options: present at a conference, guest lecture, lead a SkillShare, public-facing pedagogy (lab tours, grade school science class), draft a research proposal or paper, be a reviewer for a journal article, write a popular science article, text book chapter, or book
- Publish a manuscript, podcast, op-ed, popular science article, or book
- Obtain photos or recordings of you presenting at a conference, giving an invited lecture, presenting a keynote speech
- Update your website or CV to reflect your professional activities and experiences