From idea to impact
The Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability powers excellence across all areas of scholarship that, together, are crucial for advancing the long-term prosperity of the planet. Its distinctive three-part structure is designed to amplify global impact.
Institutes innovate across disciplines
Across our activities we are embedding equity, access, and inclusion and a commitment to generating solutions that benefit all people, especially those most harmed by climate change and environmental damage.
Inaugural Dean, Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability
“Climate and sustainability are the defining issues of the 21st century. Arguably, there is no other issue that is more important that will affect humanity and the planet.”
The school launched in September 2022 with an ambitious vision and a strong foundation, but there’s more to come. In the months and years ahead, we expect to:
- Hire as many as 60 new faculty in critical areas of research including climate science, energy, and environmental justice.
- Develop new academic departments and additional degree programs where students at all levels can pursue their passions and develop skills to be part of solutions.
- Form a new Institute for Sustainable Societies, which will add critical new attention to issues of institutional and economic infrastructure, and the politics of transitioning to more sustainable ways of life.
- Create a global network of collaborators who will provide knowledge and expertise to ensure our Accelerator teams generate solutions at scale.
- Fund additional teams working toward tangible results, either through institute seed grants or Accelerator grants.
- Create an inclusive culture that values the diversity our community.
- Carry out research and education in an equitable way.
Stanford has made an enduring commitment to tackle humanity’s greatest challenges. You can help.
- Find a degree program: Explore pathways for prospective students.
- Become a partner: Learn about opportunities for local, regional, and global partners.
- Explore alumni resources: Browse alumni events, mentorship opportunities, and more.
- Share your expertise: Join the diverse group of experts who are helping to evaluate project proposals, foster connections, and mentor teams through the Sustainability Accelerator.
- Find K-12 resources: Explore free teaching resources, workshops, virtual field trips, and curricula designed to help students understand Earth, climate change, and environmental sciences.
- Expand your knowledge: Browse online courses, certificate programs, and other opportunities for professional development.
- Support our work: Philanthropy will play a critical role in our efforts to catalyze new knowledge and accelerate solutions. Learn about giving opportunities.
- Get in touch: Send us an email or sign up for one of our newsletters.